Saturday, March 10, 2018

Review and Information About the Comic Book "The Empties"

     Recently I corresponded back and forth with a fellow horror author, Kristen Renee Gorlitz.  She sent me a free copy of Issue 1 of "The Empties," a comic book she wrote.  The artist was Eli Powell.  Also involved were Marshall Dillon and Alexander A. Garcia.  Comic books (aka graphic novels) are not a medium I've partaken of much--aside from reading Disney and Hanna-Barbera character comics when I was a kid, Peter Bagge's "Hate" comic series when I was an adult, and a handful of others.  But I gave this one a shot, and I'm glad I did.
     The main story in "The Empties" so far is about Derrick, a Michigan-based cook who's learned devastating news about his wife--she's having an affair.  But, in the background, there's something strange and unsettling going on in the surrounding area.  Some of the locals are acting a bit strange, or even monstrous.  The plot takes a story ripped from the real world and runs with it, with horrifying results.  Also, my frame of reference is admittedly limited, but I really enjoyed the artwork.  Artist Eli Powell certainly doesn't shrink from showing disturbing images!  The issue I read (and presumably the entire planned series) was in black and white, which gave it kind of a classic, "Night of the Living Dead" type of vibe.
     Once again, I'll be referring readers to a Kickstarter campaign.  Included at the listed address is, obviously, a lot of information about the comic, its creators, and the details about the campaign.  And you'll find images from "The Empties" itself, and even a free preview of it.  So I encourage everyone to check it out.  The address is:

 https://kickstarter.com/projects/1566126203/the-empties-nothing-eats-you-alive-like-a-bad-roma

     The Kickstarter campaign runs through Friday, March 16th, 2018 12:00 p.m. EDT 
      And the cover of the comic is below.

                               

No comments:

Post a Comment